Monday 16 September 2013

Passports: What do they say about you? (WARNING: SERIOUS RANT AHEAD)

Dear Internet,

Today I overheard somebody  *cough cough* talking about how "some people just get the passport and say that they're 'English', even thought they're not". This person then pointed out that your passport doesn't mean you are a part of that country's people.

I partially agreed but also disagreed with this statement. Firstly, being Chinese but born in England and raised there for 7 years of my life, I couldn't help but be mad about that. And secondly, how could he just ASSUME that that is what people do? He is NOT "some people" and he never will be!

Now allow me to distinguish between what your passport says about you and what your race says about you. I'll use myself as an example.

  • Race: Chinese. My ancestors were Chinese, my family all come from China (okay fine my mum comes from Taiwan), and I look Chinese. 
  • Passport/Nationality: British. I was born in England (check my birth certificate if you like), I was raised in England for 7 years of my life and if you ask me where I'm from, I will most likely say I'm English. My mum, dad and my sister all hold English passports too, and my nationality is British. I'm not pretending. I am telling the truth. 
So by saying that people "just get the passport" and "say" that they are from a specific place, I was really ticked off. Did I "just get the passport" when I was born there? No! I was born a British citizen and that's that. Does me saying that I'm English when I look full-blooded Chinese mean that I'm "just saying" that I'm English? Nope. I AM English. 

So when I was born in England, I didn't just get a passport. I got a part of me. So if some people don't understand the subtle differences, that's their problem. 

From, 
Me
P.S. Sorry for another one of these rant posts. Don't get mad at me, I just needed to get all of this out before I could continue my homework in peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment